02 March 2011

Shoes

Can you imagine wearing shoes like this? Most of us reading this have multiples pairs of shoes in our closet. Some of even have multiple pairs of one type of shoe - like black heels.

There's a really cool organization working in Ethiopia near where our son was born and lived the first 18 months of his life. Friends of Orphans and Vulnerable Children (FOVC) is a grassroots organization lead by an Ethiopian and supported by Americans. You can read more about them on their website: http://www.fovc.org/about.html

This picture has a story behind it. I read it here on Lory's blog. Here's what she says: the picture is of an FOVC boy's shoes...he couldn't help with the building project because the shoes were so tattered....before Team Tasfa member Ingrid outfitted him with new shoes. The boy was found, crying and alone, a couple of hours later. Investigating the reason for his tears, Ingrid learned he was overcome with tears of joy because he had been given a real pair of shoes.
*edited to add: How cool that Ingrid, the one who gave the boy the shoes, commented on my blog. She linked the actual story in her comment. If you want to read it from her point of view, check it out here: http://12knotheel.blogspot.com/2011/01/our-team-brought-over-multiple.html

Wow. And I have how many pairs of shoes in my closet?!?! Most of which I don't wear because the soles are worn out and they're no longer comfortable.

Did you know that $250 buys 40 pairs of shoes for kids in need? Wow. Do you know what I spent on my last pair of Keen's? This is the same reason that I couldn't bring myself to buy the pair of keens I showed you in this post. Anyone want to save a few bucks, throw the money together and buy shoes for kids in need?

2 comments:

Lory Howlett said...

Hi Tamara! Thank you for your email, and for checking us out--both via blog and www.fovc.org.

I will be in touch with you soon. Would LOVE to draw you into our work!!! And to serve with you!!!

God bless,
Lory

Ingrid said...

OH!!! I love that you put my picture on your blog. Those shoes changed my life and perspective FOREVER!! I have a 11x14 blow up of that picture hanging in my living room. If you want to read my story of the shoes go here:

http://12knotheel.blogspot.com/2011/01/our-team-brought-over-multiple.html