03 March 2009

Communion Sunday

The first Sunday of the month, our church partakes in communion together. The Lord's Supper from 1 Corinthians chapter 11 of the bible:

23For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." 25In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." 26For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

Here we sit with Scott who is seemingly distracted when the bread signifying God's broken body is passed. He doesn't notice and there's no issue. Then comes the grape juice signifying Jesus' shed blood and Scott immediately begins to cry. This is to be expected of him. By time communion comes he has sat through Sunday School and then most of the church service and he's hungry. Why does everyone else get to eat and drink? It breaks his heart which also breaks mine. I'm not mistreating my son but he feels left out. Chapter 11 continues...

27Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself.

Considering the seriousness of this subject, I have an inward battle. One friend suggested that I bring Scott some snack and a drink for him to have during this time. And that works great for a distraction for his little mind. But the battle is that I want Scott to understand the importance of taking communion as a believer, not as a hungry child.

This past Sunday I didn't not bring him a snack on purpose, it never even crossed my mind. As Scott began to cry, I tried to explain to him simply that it was for big people, not little ones. But that isn't exactly true, and he continued to prod me about the juice. I further explained that it was for people who have asked Jesus into my heart. At this point Scott said the words that I would so love to hear: "Mommy, I want Jesus in my heart." I so wish that his little mind understood and that it was the desire of his heart but I'm a smart mommy and know my son. I looked at him and said "Scott, mommy thinks that you just want juice." And with an innocent little grin on his face, he said "yes mommy, I just want juice".

Oh how I long for the day that he wants Jesus in his heart regardless of the juice!

2 comments:

Amy said...

It's the first step of wanting to be involved in something so special! It's hard to know when to allow that, I knew Kaitlyn and Kyle were ready when they could tell me why we take communion and what it represents. (And of course there had already been a heart commitment) Ah, sweet little Scott, the Lord is preparing his heart as we speak!

Ashley said...

He is a smart and sweet little boy. I have never thought of that, but I can see how that would be a predicament for a child!! I can't wait to hear about the day when he asks Jesus into his heart.:-)