02 April 2007

Weekend Up North

I left work 45 minutes early on Friday to start the weekend. I was hoping to leave at noon but because I was swamped at work, I considered 45 minutes being lucky. Rushed right home and didn't even stop at my mom's to see my kiddo. I got home in time to question why in the world did I hurry... hubby was standing in front of the TV playing xbox!
Now, I hadn't communicated that I wanted to leave at any certain time but I did mention that I would plan to get home early. I was dissapointed that hubby was still in work clothes (not that he ever cares to change), had yet to pack (or do anything else around the house on his half day off) and was playing video games. Now, let me state that I struggle so much with keeping up with the household chores while working full time. And that's before I added a child to the house and am pregnant with #2. I was so frustrated that hubby had provided NO help to me that afternoon! Okay, now that I vented about my frustration, I'll share about our weekend.

I was ready for a quiet and cozy weekend without the phone, TV or friends. We got close! Friday on our way up to the house, we stopped in at wallyworld. Before we even parked, we saw a friend (and past co-worker) of Ryan's. After visiting for 15 minutes, we parked and headed inside for a quick shopping trip. After gathering some needed items for home (might as well when you're actually near a place to shop) and some food for the weekend, we headed out.

No big plans, just some quality time together... we had frito boats for supper, I ate some "fresh" (so they say) strawberries and we watched the Pursuit of Happyness (which I did not like). After a long week of work, I was more than ready for bed when the movie finished. Saturday we headed to town for brunch. I took Ryan to Ruby's - a local place with a good chicken fried steak. Afterwards, we walked around town, poked our head in the different shops, spent too much money (I bought an old egg basket, a old bat for kiddo's room while hubby found an old thing that had DX logos on it). We made a quick stop at the local coffee house but when I didn't know what anything on the menu was (I'm limited to experiencing a caramel frapp at Starbucks), we ordered a hot chocolate and sat and played Battleship for a while. It was a well needed break for my tired feet and body. We managed to avoid the short rain showers all except once and even then stayed fairly dry. Of course, we couldn't go home without another trip to Walmart, another DVD purchase (with 500 other things) and a stop at Culvers for lunch (as if I was hungry).

I tried my best to be content. But honestly, I didn't know what to do with myself having "free time". It was crazy and I was bored! In between movies and games, I swept up a few asian beetles, wandered around outside, etc. I never have that kind of time at home. There's always laundry to do, a kid to chase, plants to water, etc. Not only was I bored but I missed my son!

Saturday night we had some wild thunderstorms with lots of rain and wind and tornado warnings. I slept wonderfully (thank you Tylenol PM) that night. Sunday morning I lounged around and finished a book while Ryan ran to town once more. I showered and wasn't quite finished packing when Ryan came back. We were at mom's picking up our son by noon. It was a nice weekend and good to spend time with just my hubby. But it was also good to be back home!

Thanks for a slow weekend...here comes another whirlwind week of events!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a great weekend.

Now do I need to educate you more on Starbucks???

Fantastagirl said...

Glad you had some 'couple' time - that's always a good thing!

Me said...

Glad you got to get away and get some sleep!

Ashley said...

I'm glad you felt rested and ready for yet another busy week!