09 April 2007

Another seizure...

Saturday was a good day. Hubby was gone to work and I had the little one in front of the TV. (Let me just say that I hate having the TV as a "babysitter" but this day was necessary.) I would check on him every several minutes. The past few days he'd been a little warm off and on and a little whiny so I assume he's teething again. I had just checked on him and he was warm but my warm-bodied kid was in sweats with a fleece blanket over him at the temp at set at 68. I knew that he likely needed Tylenol but I decided that I'd finish the dishes quick and then give him a bath before going to meds.

I walk in to check on him just as he's getting off the couch. He slides off the couch and then stands still for one second and begins shaking. I WAS SCARED TO DEATH. I immediately ran over and grabbed him up in my arms shouting his name. Meanwhile, I'm wondering how I'm going to deal with a seizing child and manage to get his medicine out of my car all at the same time. It wasn't more than 5-10 seconds and the shaking stopped. He never screamed, got rigid, really hot or any other "seizure signs". As I sat on the couch (about to have a heart attack and definitely sweating now) clutching my child, I watched him closely.

The kid was glued to the Vegie Tales movie (being repeated for the 3rd time which he didn't mind). And on the movie, there was an outer-space vegie that was coming down. As I watched, I was sure that the kid wasn't seizing - he was just scared of the stupid vegie!!! Of course, my awareness of seizures in relationship to fevers was the scary part. Thankfully, it was not a medical issue! The remainder of the weekend, I watched him closely and got a little nervous each time he'd stand quietly in one spot in a "different" sort of way.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Silly boy, doesn't he know that he should give his mommy some kind of warning if he's going to make her heart leap out of her chest!

Ashley said...

awww...sooo scary...even if it wasn't "for real" this time.

jerelyn said...

So scary! Glad this "scare" wasn't the real thing.

I did get the email you sent out and I've been praying for you guys and the little one...please keep me updated if/when you find out new information.

Me said...

Scary! Glad it was just that he was scared and not a medical issue. :)