29 March 2007

me = grumpy pregnant lady

Got a call from the doc. I failed my 1-hour blood sugar challenge thinger-ma-bob. Now, I have to do a fasting, 3 hour test. My first thoughts were of sitting at the doctor's office for 3 hours. Grr. But, it gets worse. I have to fast for 12 hours (I got them to agree to 6 since that's what the nurse originally said). Then I really have to sit there for 3 hours. Here's the schedule:

2am - while up for potty break #2, EAT something.
815am, they take a "fasting" blood sample
Drink the orange crap (10 oz of liquid similar to orange soda but it has 50 grams of sugar and a bad after taste).
915am - take hour #1 sample
1015am - take hour #2 sample
1115am - take hour #3 sample

Okay, so maybe that doesn't sound so bad to you, but let's think about this. I'm PREGNANT and like to eat OFTEN. Usually by 11am, I've had a slim fast, a nutri-grain bar and a bagel with cream cheese. Even then, I usually have lunch by 1230. And they think I won't be hungry. Let's add to my grumpy attitude by having to sit at the doctor's office for 3 hours. I don't sit still well at all (I would have flunked that class and been called ADHD). They said to bring a good book. Who cares about the book, I just don't want to SIT anywhere for 3 hours. I don't even sit for the 3 hour drive to DesMoines right now - I make a pit stop half way at Target. And in not-comfy chairs... sitting... for 3 hours. Do they not understand that my back already hurts and I don't like this idea at all. Grr. I can tell that I'm getting more emotional than usual (which is bad because I already cry easy) . I wanted to cry when I got off the phone with them. I'm so frustrated. Grr!

4 comments:

Fantastagirl said...

Sending you good thoughts - I hope you pass with flying colors!

Jody said...

With my first pregnancy I craved orange soda- until I took that test. Now I can't stomach it. Good luck on the next one!

BTW- WHY are you drinking slim fast while you are pregnant?!?

Me said...

I'm not pregnant and sitting in a dr. office for 3 hours doesn't sound like fun to me either!!!! Yuck!

Ashley said...

i'm sorry your were frustrated! what a pain that was!