06 March 2007

Kid Update - 2 stories

So, I get this email from Amy yesterday while she's watching my son. And she just wants to compliment me on how good he is and how much she misses that in her two children. Let me tell you what, it so made my day yesterday. And he is a good kid. But last night, I'm not sure what his deal was. His typical communication skills were a bit off-balanced. He was whiny and wanted me to read to him while I was trying to take 10 minutes to myself to read. He was also throwing these mini-fits. Not sure if he experienced those at Amy's or if he was just experiencing a new attitude that he found in the back of his little brain. He wanted in his high chair, then wouldn't drink his juice, wanted down and then back up - all within a minute. I had a major back ache and wasn't wanting to be very patient. So I fed him the apple sauce that he dug out of his diaper bag. Instead of his usual "all gone", he kept saying "apple sauce" as if he wanted more. Okay, 90 minutes before this he'd eaten roast and carrots at Amy's. I made the fair assumption that he had two straight days of playing with others all days and was just over tired. The kid proceeds with his attitude but keeps saying "meat, mommy". So, I get some ham out of the fridge, put it in a bowl in front of him and he goes to town. After that, he drank his juice right up and was the perfect little boy that I love having around! By now, Ryan and I had finished our healthy meal of home-made potato chips and taquitos (which the little one also had to share). We headed to the living room where I asked hubby to put his new notebook toy away and spend some time playing with his son. It was fun, I was tired and shortly after, we headed to bed where I took some Tylenol PM and was out.

So, then this morning, is day #2 of non-Grammy daycare. Take the little guy to the C's for the day. He loves it there. And LC has something going on right away so she bags up some dried cereal, pack his to-go fruit, fill his cup with juice and head back out the door. Leo shows up a few minutes later to pick them up as planned. Only, it didn't go as planned. LC made sure that he knew to bring the van since she had my kiddo and would need room for his carseat. He walks in and says "I brought my truck. You'll just have to hold him in your lap from here to town". Knowing that Leo is always saying something to get-my-goat, I blow it off with a reply in which I said "Right, Leo. You know you can't do that. He has to be in a carseat." Okay, up to this point, I was sure Leo was just kidding but I quickly found out that he was serious. I was floored and didn't know what to say or do next. LC told Leo that she'd have to take her van to town and we headed out to the garage to install the carseat into her van. I still can't believe that the man wanted her to hold him in his lap from her house to town. Let's think about this a little... LC lives out in the country. The closest route to town is down the gravel. Now, I was just on 1/4 mile of that gravel and it was still snow covered and a bit icy. The remainder of the way to town is twisty and curvy, etc. We've had bad roads with cold weather which means the snow and ice hasn't had a chance to melt. And he wanted to take my kid without a carseat??? I know he's 60+ years old and his kids didn't use carseats BUT today is different. There are laws that say we are required to use carseats. And we have the safety equipment available today so why not use it??? All because the man didn't drive his van out.

I was so irritated. And 6 hours later, I'm still ticked about it. I considered writing him a note that said something along the lines of "I love you guys and would trust my child in your care at any time. However, I do not appreciate your plan to have him sitting in LC's lap this morning and will not allow such behavior in the future". I wonder what his reasoning was for not bringing the van.

2 comments:

Fantastagirl said...

The whole not putting safety first, following laws, etc is what is getting me - and the little guy isn't my kid - I'm glad you stuck to your guns - your little guy is just to precious....

Ashley said...

Were you able to talk about your concerns with them?