07 January 2009

Here Am I am Lord

I'm finishing up day #2 of missing work. It has been a nice break but I enjoy my work and am eager to get back at it. Last Tuesday I developed a sinus infection which turned into a head cold, I think. Thankfully Wednesday was a quiet day at the office and Thursday was a holiday. I made it through a very long day on Friday and was out for the weekend. I don't like being sick at all so even a nasty little cold isn't fun for me. I'm hoping to be back at the office tomorrow.

As I sit here reading through my emails I am reminded of my dear friend, Maxine. She was an older lady in our church. A wonderful lady who loved the Lord and was full of joy. She had a servant's heart for sure. Monday, Maxine went in for a heart surgery. That evening they alerted her church family to pray as her heart was not pumping on its own. That night I sat and held Bethany in the rocking chair in her room as she'd been screaming. We prayed and prayed for Ms. Maxine and although my little 18 month old doesn't have a clue what was going on she lay perfectly content in my arms as we prayed. We prayed for our dear friend and through that time I was sure that God again would heal her heart and she'd walk away from this "routine" surgery. The next morning, Ryan called me to let me know that Ms. Maxine died at 4am. I was so surprised. We prayed for God's will ultimately but made sure to ask God to heal Ms. Maxine.

The past two days as I've been home getting over this head cold / sinus infection I've thought a lot about a little lady in rural Northeast Iowa who has been such a giant for God's Kingdom. My heart aches for the loss and of course I think of how we'd not seen her lately, how we didn't take the kids to see her on Halloween this year, how she always had a smile in her face even when I had an attitude, and I will miss our precious friend. But on the flip side, how amazing it would be to stand at the feet of our Creator and King and hear Him say "well done my good and faithful servant" and to be in a place where there are no more broken hearts!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Yes, please, I so long to be in a place where there aren't any broken hearts.