29 July 2010

Kids' Friends Thoughts

Yesterday I told you about Scott inviting a friend to join us for the church picnic. Since that time I’ve had lots of questions swirling around in my mind. Thought I’d share a few so that you can comment with your advice, opinion and experience:

I talked to a set of parents for 10 minutes and they allowed me to pick their son up and take him somewhere. Now they may have researched us since we’d left them a note with our names and contact info. They may also just be really trusting parents. Regardless they let me drive off with their son.

The Friday before that after knocking on their door, I suggested to Ryan that we invite the family over for dessert. That way they can get to know us and we can get to know them a little. Ryan wasn’t so sold on it (and he can comment on why).

After the picnic, we dropped Scott’s friend off. While I stood on the porch and chatted with the mother, Scott was invited in to see KB’s bedroom. I told him to make it quick, it was past bed time. That quick trip into the house really got me thinking of several things:

- How do you decide when to let your child go over to another child’s home?
- If you think they’re too young or you don’t know the family, how do you lovingly tell them that your child can’t go?
- Especially when they trusted you with their child?
- Why are we so connected with people just like us and not reaching out to those who don’t naturally fit in our social circle?

My son has only been to one friend’s house. It is our neighbor. We have a relationship with them. We trust them. With Scott getting ready to start kindergarten, this issue is likely to come up in the near future. What do you do? What would you do? I don’t want to be the annoying parent who joins my son and friends at the birthday party but it is my responsibility to protect my child from harm.

I would love to hear your two cents.

No comments: