12 July 2010

At Work


It was a good and trying weekend.  Lots going on in my little head.  One of the things that has been on my mind all weekend was Janel's post.  Janel was writing about what she's been learning as she read Francis Chan's widely popular book, Crazy Love.  I read, rather listened, to the book a year ago or so and wish it would stick more.  I want things to change my life, not for a day, or 2 weeks, but to literally change my life.  Janel's post has been a fresh reminder of going all for God.  I suck at that.  But I don't want to.
 
One of the things she quoted from Francis was: Would you be willing to pray this prayer – God bring me closer to You, whatever it takes….

People who are obsessed with Jesus aren't consumed with their personal safety and comfort above all else. Obsessed people care more about God's kingdom coming to this earth than their own lives being shielded from pain or distress


Well you wouldn't believe how many times this weekend I found myself asking God to bring me closer to him after initially asking for kids with good behavior, safe trips, etc.  I recently dug back into daily time in the word.  I'm ashamed to admit that I wasn't there daily.  I started in the Pslams with the chapter to match the date.  It wasn't enough though and I wanted to read more of the Psalms.  So yesterday while the kids were watching a movie with their daddy, I climbed on the trampoline, laid in the sunshine and started at chapter 30 of Psalms.  And it was as if God specifically opened my bible to that page just for me.  I was so right there.  Hear O Lord me merciful to me, be my help!
 
I have lots of recent questions in my head.  Are my priorities right?  Am I loving my husband how God calls me to love?  Why do I have so little patience with my kids?  My back hurts and I use it as an excuse.  But really, what if God is calling me to be in constant pain?  Then I need to learn to deal with it, right? 
 
Then today at my office I had this couple in. They were AMAZING.  They were just the encouragement that I needed.  The wife was intrigued by all the sayings I had taped to my computer, hung on my wall or otherwise plastered somewhere in my office.  And it was fun to watch her be encouraged and challenged by what she was reading and writing down.  It's not that often that people sit at my desk asking me about bible verses or sayings.  It was fun and I felt like my load was a little lighter today after being able to encourage someone.
 
I'm so thankful that God cares enough about me to always have an answer, to always offer encouragement and to accept me as I am, a work in progress.


The New Busy think 9 to 5 is a cute idea. Combine multiple calendars with Hotmail. Get busy.

No comments: