14 September 2007

Get-Away

It's been a really rough week in many ways. I'm sure most of it is just raw emotion for me mixed with a lack of sleep. But, I've had multiple times this week when I just wanted to cry. Here's just one story:
Kids had shots yesterday. The appt was originally schedule for Monday but had to be changed because my doc wanted one more day of vacation. So yesterday, I get off work at noon [note: I have zero time off yet since I just started back last week and the pay period ends today meaning I've not acrued any leave till after today], take a half day off to take the kiddos to the doctor. Because they're not in their normal routine, it takes a while to be ready to leave. I rush to D-town, speeding all the way (which I usually don't do) and almost rolled my car into the ditch on a gravel road. Anyway, we arrive safely at the clinic with no time to spare. And the girl at the desk isn't my normal girl which was a bummer in itself. She can't find the appointment and as she searches, the following discussion ensues:
G: Umm, I can't find an appointment for your son, can you spell your name
Me: [spell the name for her], our appointment was originally scheduled for Monday and I had to have it moved to today...
G: Oh, yes, got it. Scott had an appointment at 10:15am, not 2pm.
Me: what?
G: yeah, it shows for 10:15am.
Me: Did I write it down wrong?
G: Well, Dr. R is gone for the day and the other doctor just left to deliver a baby
Me: But, I... I got the time wrong? I just drove 45 minutes to get here, have no time off work...
G: Sorry. I bet if Dr. R was here she'd fit you in...
[note: now the wheels are really turning and my brain is starting to connect the dots]
Me: well I guess I need to reschedule.
G: One of our doctors is gone on maternity leave so everyone is swamped. It will be into October before we can get you back in for both appointments the same day.
Me: [really frustrated and ready to cry now] Okay, fine give me whatever works.

So, it was a rough day. Scott didn't want to leave. He wanted to see Dr. R and cried when he couldn't see her. We got right back in the car which sucked. So, I stopped at the local vet clinic (Ryan is buddies with the owner) to at least show off my kiddos and make the trip worthwhile. Dr. Merill was gone for the day! Go figure. So, I showed Dr. Merrill's new puppy to my son, walked back out the door, got in the car and drove back home. For nothing. Of course on the way home, we got stuck waiting for a super slow train. That wasn't too bad though, I rolled the windows down and my son was taken in by the train and its noises. Unfortunately for the next five minutes after that he whined because he wanted to see the train again. Ugg.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Sorry Tammy! On days like that I just want to clock-out. Hang in there!

Jody said...

I would cry out of frustration. Don't they give you a reminder call or something?

Kristine said...

Ouch. I'd have cried. And begged to have someone see me, or at least 1 of my kids. You are supermom for taking 2 kids in for shots at once. Never done that myself...

Fantastagirl said...

I would have been bawling in the office. Two Kids? Shots same day? You are a brave woman. I'd be calling the office and ask if there is anyway to move the appointment up etc. You'd be amazed how those nurses can get you in!

Hang in there - you are a great mommy!

Me said...

I'm so sorry. Take a moment and breathe and remember all the good things you have been blessed with.

Ashley said...

ugh, i'm sorry! how frustrating!!!