19 November 2010

Great Day + Bad News

It's been a long week.  It's been a long couple of weeks.  Yesterday was quite refreshing though.  It wasn't the normal schedule for Thursday.  My appointment cancelled, I got to hang out with some friends and pray for them before they left for a mission trip, I got to pick my son up from school and I got to enjoy the afternoon rather than rush around like crazy.  Bible study was cancelled last night too so we had a quiet evening at home with our family.
 
So this morning when I woke up I felt a little refreshed.  The sun was shining and I was thankful that it was Friday.  Work was going great and I felt like I was having some really rewarding conversations.  And then all of a sudden, it seemed like one bit of bad news after the other.  Seriously, this morning alone, I think I said 3 different times that a certain bit of information ruined my day.  One was an overpayment on a contract the last 4 years which means a repayment in sum total.  Ouch for the producer involved.  I don't like finding mistakes - especially when it deals with money and moreso when it's 4 years later. 
 
The second bit of bad news just plain sucks.  I learned that one of my favorite little farmer guys is going to hospice care.  He's not just any old farmer.  In fact, he doesn't even actively farm these days.  But he still comes in here once a month for business.  And each month I chat with him and his wife.  They're sweet and I love that they stop by each month after her hair-do appointment.  A few months ago my buddy fell and has been in the hospital and rehab ever since.  Last I checked in with his wife, he was sitting up on his own and, I thought, doing well.  That's not the case.  So, I sit at a quiet lunch.  Do I call?  Would I just be a bother?  Do I send a card?  Do I stop by?  What heart break his sweet wife is going through.  My heart aches for her.
 
It's these times that I'm glad I have rewarding conversations and am able to build relationships with some of those who walk through the door.  These are also the times that having invested in people is hard.  But, today is they day the Lord has made.  I will rejoice, especially when its a Friday, and be glad in it.  And after yesterday afternoon, I look forward to a weekend of rest... that is if two extra kids in our home and a full plate of activities can be restful :)

No comments: