31 March 2006

Is it 5pm yet?

I was so thankful that I woke up this morning and it was Friday. It has been a long week. I was home one night this week and used that time to make a cake for one of our JV helpers. Good cake - it was the Earthquake Cake. Oh, yeah, for those who want the secret recipe, here it is:
Bottom
1/2 bag of coconut - spread it on the bottom of the 9x13 glass pan to start.

Cake
1 moist chocolate cake mix

3 eggs
1 1/4 c. milk
1 stick soft butter
Mix the cake mix with the above ingredients (not how the box says to do it). Pour over the coconut.

Topping
1 8 oz. package cream cheese
1 box powdered sugar
1 stick melted butter
Mix the above ingredients for the topping. Spoon over the top of the cake mix (it doesn't pour).

Bake at 350 for 1 hour. The topping will end up at the bottom of your cake. It tastes great warm. If you serve it immediately after pulling it out of the oven, the topping will be runny and messy. Let it cool for 10 minutes or so before serving. It's so good! But for those of us trying to watch our figures, don't eat the whole cake (unless of course you have a pass for your Weight Watcher meeting).

So anyway, that was my Wednesday evening. After JV was over, I did actually have a few minutes to visit with my hubby before heading to bed.

Did I mention that I'm glad for Friday to be here? I have had a good week at work, home and in my quiet time. But, I'm really looking forward to the retreat I'm going to this weekend. I'm a little apprehensive about taking a sick-but-feeling-better baby. I know I won't have to hold him much since there will be plenty of volunteers but I'm hoping that he doesn't sneeze the green snot all over them like he does to me. And I don't like packing to be gone. I have to have so much of everything in case Scott spits up, explodes his diaper, etc. But, I know that my time there will be good. If the weather is nice spring weather, I know my son will love to be outdoors and look at all the new things.

[story of the day]
Yesterday morning shortly after waking up, we heard a cat's meow. We were confused because our cats were outside. In no time, Rum, our tabby, was in bed with us. I figured he snuck in when the JVers left. But Ryan said he through him out after that. Some time later Ryan left for work and checked the cellar doors to make sure that wasn't how the cat got in. The inside door was closed, so Ryan closed the cellar doors and headed to work. Last night when we got home from bible study, Ryan went into the basement to see if any water made its way in during the rainstorm an hour earlier. Upon opening the basement door, he found quite a mess. Keller, my deaf dog, must have gotten in along side Rum earlier that morning and then was locked in when Ryan left for work. Keller hasn't been an inside dog for 8 months. He had quite the mess downstairs (our JV room). He had the trash spread EVERYWHERE. Lots of little candy wrappers and cake plates. And because he'd been down there for 14 hours, he had to pottie. Unfortunately he'd pooped on the couch - several times! I felt bad when I got home and saw the mess since Keller is my dog. Fortunately, Dr. Honey cleaned up the poop while I took little guy upstairs to put him in bed. How's that for a surprise?!?!

No comments: