10 March 2006

You know you live in the sticks when...

1. It's National FFA week so the local farm kids think it would be fun to drive their tractors to school instead of their cars! Yes, Loren (she works with Ryan and I work with her mom) is a senior girl at Valley and drove her dad's tractor 8 miles to school. Her brother drove a tractor also and the kids and their tractors backed up traffic for quite a while. She even had to rev up the engine to get the cloud of black smoke in the parking lot.
2. And that's not all of it. You know you live in the sticks when you drive a newer tractor with some modifications. There was a problem with the exhaust pipe and the new one has been ordered but hasn't arrived. So, good 'ol Loren's Dad took a piece of rain gutter and used it as the exhaust pipe. Loren got a free malt for driving the tractor to school and when her teacher saw the rain gutter, he rewarded her with another malt ticket.
Yes, I do live in the sticks. But, I must say that Loren's dad was pretty inventive to think to use the rain gutter piece to get the job done!

4 comments:

Fantastagirl said...

Welcome to Iowa... you should see our town around county fair... it's full of "interesting" things...

Oh, and BTW - my older sister was one of those FFA kids who drove a combine to school in her FFA coat, skirt and HEELS... oh yeah baby... I know - I'm thinking of relocating - I can not expose my kids to this.

Chris, Renae & Annie said...

Not only did the FFA kids drive their tractors to school, but the town made a parade out of it! The kids got to drive up and around the square and even threw candy! Now this is a town lacking in entertainment!

I love the idea of using the rain gutter!

jerelyn said...

lol...so funny! You sticks-ers are hilarious.

Me said...

LOL...sounds like where I'm from!