20 March 2006

Needing a nap...

[good reminder]
Honesty is the best policy, right? Okay, so I’ve struggled lately with spending time with God – like praying and reading and being quiet. And that has affected my attitude so much. Yeah, I’m thankful for my life, the roof over my head, my family, etc but I’ve had a crappy attitude and it’s wearing on me. Specifically, one decision/issue affects so many facets of my life that it keeps me stressed out most of the time. But, I had a good reminder last week. I need to find joy in every situation. Many people think they’re day is successful if they learn something new, encourage a friend, make a dollar. I’m trying to judge my successful days on whether or not I’ve honored God. And one of those ways (there are many) is finding joy in my current situations. So, it hit me last week and since then, the stress is there, no doubt, but its not driving me crazy. My anger towards the person involved has subsided – some. Yeah, I’m still working on this whole process but it was such a great reminder. I appreciate the situation I’m in – this week – and hope that my better-attitude remains.

[purpose driven]
I’m on day 22 of 40 in the Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. The book has some great thought provoking comments, bible verses and questions. Really, what on earth am I here for? I know what I’m here for but sometimes I get caught up in my wants and forget the big picture. This book has been encouraging for me to read. A chapter each day is easy. And some chapters, I should read every day for a week to really let the information sink in. I’m not much for doing what is popular – what everyone else is doing. And this book has been very popular but it’s been good and I’d encourage others to read it.

[Dr. Hottie’s birthday]
It was a success, a milestone, a fun day to make my honey feel the most special. Last year I made him curtains that didn’t work out. This year, I bought a gift to make sure he got something he liked. So, I had this great idea to buy him tickets to the new Cardinals stadium this summer. I was going to purchase the tickets and give them to him for his birthday. With his on call schedule, I had to share part of the scheme. Then we invited a few friends. So it got more difficult to plan. Knowing that I might not have the tickets in hand, I bought him a little Cardinals baseball player figuring thing. Just to have something to open. He saw that on my work desk and ruined that surprise (my fault). The tickets went on sale 2 weeks ago and already we can’t get the tickets we want. Grr. There goes another great idea. So, I went to the back up plan, I went to Eskimo Joe’s online and bought him some stuff. EJ’s is a bar/grille place in Stillwater that Dr. Hottie loved as an undergrad. I bought him a new tshirt (the old one is super worn and thin and has “air conditioning” in the armpits). I also bought him some new plastic cups since his old ones are slowly disappearing. And I bought him a nice glass so he could have his own special cup (since I have my own special glass). It arrived in just two days – the day before his birthday. That was a hit. And because he was there when the package arrived and it had the EJ logo on it, I gave it to him a day early. There’s more – yes I’m an awesome wife – I made him a cake. Not the typical box cake that you mix up real quick and toss in the oven. I made an earthquake cake. And while it was baking, I was watching and the topping wasn’t going to the bottom like it was supposed to. So, it’s done baking, I take it out of the oven and apologize to my honey for another failed project on his birthday. But, five minutes later when it had cooled just a bit, the stuff on top had been sucked down to the bottom like it was supposed to do. Yay!!!! The cake was a little dry so I will leave it up to mom to make the next time but I made an effort! So, happy birthday to Dr. Hottie, my wonderful 30 year old husband!

4 comments:

Fantastagirl said...

Happy Birthday to your Hubby! With all the effort you put into his birthday - he knows how much you love him. Hope you find a peace or a way of living/dealing with the crap at work. Remember maybe something in their life is making her/him unbearable to work with - will send good thoughts your way.

Anonymous said...

Happy Bday Ryan!!!

What's an earthquake cake???? I'm intrigued!

Ashley said...

i agree - i would love to hear more about earthquake cake!

Fantastagirl said...

Tamara - Re: comment on my blog: we waved and honked as we drove by...lol