02 July 2004

SATURDAY the 19th
We started our day by having breakfast with my Mom, Ralph, Nanny and Aunt Janie. Nanny and Janie had flown into Des Moines airport to hang out with in beautiful NE Iowa for a week. Unfortunately I had already made plans to be in CA the same week. So, we swapped states. Fortunately, they flew into DM (which is farther than Cedar Rapids) so I got to see them briefly. From there, we headed to Prairie City. We were there to celebrate 60 years of marriage for Ryan’s Gramma and Grampa Buitenwerf. First things first – Gramma made her famous pressed chicken sandwiches. We had just eaten so I tasted the sandwich and snacked on a few chips. Everyone began to arrive. Unlike that of my own, the Buitenwerf’s are a small family. Gramma and Grampa Buitenwerf have two sons who each have two children. None of us grandkids have “kids”. Instead, we all have animals instead. *** Side note: I come from a big family with lots of cousins and love that. Seeing such a small family got my attention and helped me be a little more open to have “several” children. We’ll see what the Lord provides us with :) After everyone showed up and had a bite to eat, it was picture time (check us out here and here). We all took some very cute photos outside near the garden and in the front yard. I’m excited to see those when they come back. After pictures we went back in the house and snacked some more. Gram B is very good at feeding people. Then she took us out to the farm where she grew up, where her brother still resides. We mostly toured the 3 story 100+ year old barn. It was amazing and so neat to hear Gram B talk about milking the cows, putting up hay etc (pictures of this coming soon, I hope). Living history fascinates me; especially when it involves my family. We then headed back to the house and visited with family. There were a few gifts and cards to open which was really a blessing to watch. Grampa B was quite emotional (possibly related to his recent stroke 2 weeks prior). He was teary-eyed over the cards and gifts and it was really neat to see that he cares. After 60 years, he still cares. What a legacy he’s living for his family to see. At 6pm, we had dinner scheduled. It was a home cooked meal by a man who caters small parties in his home. The place was out in the country on a farm with lots of animals (peacocks, dogs, horses, etc), gorgeous flower gardens and other pretty things. It was a huge meal, very nicely planned. We had a nice salad, bowl of fruit, and bread. The main course was a nice cut of beef (I can’t remember what it was called. All I know is that I don’t eat much beef and it was good) with vegeta… wait, I can’t remember what all was on the plate. I just know I cleaned my plate because the food was excellent. We had Better-Than-Sex cake for dessert. Mom and Dad B (Ryan’s folks) provided the wine which I heard was superb. After supper, we toured the home which was filled with antiques and beautiful pieces of furniture, art etc. It was a grand evening and lots of fun to celebrate with everyone.

No comments: