20 July 2004

Its only Tuesday. Wait a second, my glass is half full – PRAISE THE LORD, its no longer Monday :) Lots going on in my little pea brain! I have the weirdest dreams. I wonder how Megan is, how the Sonksen’s and Whitney’s friends are mourning her death. I wonder why I’m afraid to confront someone I love when they’re making harmful decisions. I’m thankful to have so many friends involved in ministry but sad to see the Zurbriggen’s leave here. It amazes how God created our bodies so intricately – that a deer in the middle of the road can cause us to instantly break out in a sweat. I appreciate my little rural town where people value families and fellowship. The list goes on and on about the random thoughts in my head.

I had these wonderful plans yesterday. Leave the office at noon, get a haircut, go home for a quick shower, prepare a picnic for supper, take my nephew fishing and then meet up with Ryan for the HS baseball game. Well, things didn’t run so smoothly. I didn’t have the guts to chop my hair, instead she took off 2 inches. Then I get home, showered and started making chicken salad sandwiches. I quickly realized that we didn’t have any mayo in the house. I grabbed a burrito for a quick bite to eat and sat down to watch some design show while I ate. A news interruption came on to tell of thunderstorm warning and a tornado watch (a watch means that storms are forming in a patter that can create a tornado but a tornado has yet to be spotted) in the county. I debated on the whole fishing thing but the sky wasn’t too dark. So, I packed my fishing gear (what little I have), the picnic, a hat for the baseball game and headed off to moms. Kaleb didn’t take a nap and therefore couldn’t go fishing. I ended up taking him to the store to buy a fishing license and mayo. The place I thought sold fishing licenses didn’t and so we went on to the grocery store. Meanwhile Kaleb, who didn’t care to go with me to the store, talked non-stop. We stopped at the Ciszewski’s for a few minutes for Kaleb to play with their 4 girls. Mom called my cell to say that a tornado had been spotted 40 miles North and there was damaging sized hail. It started raining so we jumped in the truck and headed to my house for the tricycle. It just didn’t seem dark enough to be a major issue. While on the road, Ryan calls to say that he can’t meet me for the baseball game. The office staff scheduled him for a 430 appt (way too late) 25 miles from the office. Ryan would have to meet me at the game. We got the tricycle and headed back for moms hoping the weather would stay favorable. It’s not like we need anymore big rains anyway – we’ve had plenty of those this year. I made a few phone calls to see if the baseball game was still planned. Nobody knew so I mixed my mayo in with the chicken and headed off for the game. Just 15 minutes down the road was a road block. All I could think was “great, I only know one way to Fayette and the road is closed”. So, I asked the police officer and found out that it was just routed around an accident. Okay, to recap: I didn’t chop my hair as much as I planned, I didn’t take Kaleb fishing as planned and I didn’t get to meet Ryan for the game. We get to Fayette about the same time but neither of us knew where the baseball stadium is. After a quick tour of the town, we found the field. Fayette is the only town in America that has a university but not a high school (question from Who wants to be a Millionaire). The game started early in hopes to beat the weather so we missed the top of the inning. Our town is super supportive and the stands were full so we stood and watched over the homerun fence. Not my idea of fun at all. But within a few minutes, some friends had joined us in the “cheap seats”. Ryan snacked on a few chips and I ate sunflower seeds but we never did have our picnic. Leann invited us to come over after the game for supper and to hear some friends share about going into ministry. We had a great time hanging out with them. It was 11pm when we left the Carlson’s and way too late for us old married people. Good times even though the day didn't go quite as planned.
Today is Ralph’s birthday so I’m headed to mom’s to celebrate with them. Mom is cooking up ribs and some other good stuff. Happy Birthday Poops!

No comments: