31 May 2006

Poop, please son!

[some time ago – about 10 days or so]
Not sure if I ever mentioned the recent poop experience with my kiddo. He was struggling and when I went to clean him it was so solid that it wouldn’t wipe out. He had also decided to quit pushing and so I had to pull the rest of the poop out of his little butt. Yeah, this is a definite story to hang on to.

[more recently]
Finally tired of the small town doctor, I made an appointment for small fry at a bigger small town place. My poor kid has had problems pooping from day one. Prunes – yup, he gets those every morning and sometimes in the evening. No result with those. So, our other option has been Karo syrup. I’m sure my kid will be a sugar addict the rest of his life. He gets dark Karo in a bottle each day and when it’s been about 6 days with no poop, he gets it in every bottle till he does the duty. Because of all this, small fry goes to visit Dr. Swanson. Grammy and Papa took him. According to G&P, the doctor had wonderful beside manner, good knowledge of medical stuff, asked questions, played with the kiddo, etc. He even called me at work during the appointment to explain things. I told him that I just wanted to make sure he didn’t have a plumbing problem. Dr. S was calling about that very thing, he wanted to make sure I was comfortable with them doing an x-ray to determine how full he was. Let me officially say my kid is full of sh*t. Yup, his bowels were full and it was up in his large intestine. Poor kiddo.

[laxative]
Dr. S prescribed a laxative to help soften things and get him cleaned out. Doc said that somewhere along the line it hurt really bad to push so small fry doesn’t want to push any more. Small fry has to take it for a month so that he forgets that it hurts to push. Dr. S said it would take 2-4 days to work. Today is Wednesday and the stuff is definitely working. The kid went from pooping every 8 days to 3 times each day. And as you might imagine, the diapers are awful. Full, runny, stinky and needed clean clothes help describe things. I’m glad he’ll be feeling better. In the mean time, we’re pushing more liquids and veggies to the little guy.

[new things]
He did so much in the last few days: waves hello, motions with his hand to milk a cow, feeds himself snack things, takes steps when you hold his hand, will finally drink out of his sippy cup (but not the suction type). What else… tries to crawl by pushing his back legs as he digs his toes into the carpet. There was something new everyday while we were gone. It was fun.

3 comments:

Fantastagirl said...

I'm glad that you took him to a different doctor - and that they are doign someting to help him out... he poor little tummy had to be hurting.

Ashley said...

i'm glad he will be feeling better soon!

Kristin said...

I'll have to remember to come back and read this one when I have a kid....