12 January 2007

Church Nursery

I think I just earned "worst nusery worker of the year award". It was sunday school time and I had one little girl left in nursery. She doesn't listen, doesn't behave and I don't enjoy keeping her. But, that's life and I deal with it. But, it couldn't be that simple:
Here we sit in nursery while girl's mother stands outside the nursery door chit-chatting. I didn't even notice, really. But then, I opened the door to air out the room after changing my own child's stinky diaper. And the door got shut. I opened it again to see girl's mother. Hmm. I was a bit irritated at this point for several reasons:
1. I'm watching bad girl while mom chit-chats.
2. I wanna chit-chat with my own friends standing right down the hall.
3. She asks me to give girl her milk cup and says she doesn't want girl to see her. SHE'S HIDING FROM HER OWN CHILD.
4. She closes the door to hide from her child when I'm trying to air out the room a little.

So, nice and wonderful person that I am... I take the milk cup but don't let it stop there. I totally interrupt and start asking the mom questions. I asked if she was going to sunday school. She asked if there were new classes. Hold on now, like she really cared about the classes she was chatting, I could hear the conversation. So, I kindly told her that if she was just going to chit-chat that I would let her take her own daughter so I could go home and get lunch. She offerred to take her daughter. I tried to be nice and keep the daughter IF she was going to sunday school.

As hubby says it, I kicked the kid out of sunday school! I felt bad but don't think it's my responsibility to watch someone's kid while they socialize. And maybe I think that because I make sure that someone goes to get my kid as soon as church is done so that others don't have to wait. Hubby disagrees. He thinks I should keep the kid while socializing happens. This girl and her mom are "newer" in church and I really hope that I didn't make them mad or scare them away with my evil selfishness. I hope to talk to her Sunday about it.

3 comments:

Me said...

I would have felt the same way. I think you handled it well! :)

Ashley said...

I hear ya on the selfishness battle. I continually amaze myself on how self centered I can be!

Kristin said...

Love it - I'd be torn too....darn parents!!!! ;)