12 August 2004

CAMPING
Finally the time came when we headed off on our camping adventure. Both of us enjoy camping and have talked about it numerous times – we even registered for camping items for the wedding. But we just never actually camped together until last weekend.

It was Ryan, me, mom, Ralph and the Brubakers (Kathy, Erin & Matt). Oh and lets not forget the dogs: DJ (our dalmation), Zachery (mom’s teacup poodle) and Lucky (the Brubaker’s dalmation). Thursday I bought lots of food and did some minor preparations. Friday, Ryan came home at noon and began packing. I showed up about 130 and helped out. We had the back of our truck full of food, fishing equipment, firewood, etc. My folks met us at our house, we all headed to Brubakers, stopped for ice and were on our way. We camped up at Gouldsburg which is only a half hour from our house. The park consists of 64 acres at the confluence of the Little Turkey River and Crane Creek. The topography is rolling to hilly with desirable picnicking and a modern camping facility. It was so nice not having to drive hours and hours to get some where. The campground was pretty, set along side the Little Turkey River on one side and next to a soybean field on the other side. It seemed almost weird to me since I work in that type of environment and I live in the country. I could’ve camped at my own house for that matter except I wouldn’t have had all the exciting things that I’m about to share with you :)

There was a “faucet” to get water, only around here, they aren’t faucets. It seems kinda antique-ish to me, but they’re old pump handles. Like at our house, instead of turning the faucet nozzle, you pull up the old handle for water. Gouldsburg had an actual old hand pump where you had to pump it to get water to flow. It was pretty neat and my shoulders and arms really got a good work out. We camped just 2 spaces away from that. At the space in between, a family came in with 3 kids, a kayak and canoe. Their youngest, who was 3, really liked our dalmation and everytime we walked by, the little boy had to run up and pet DJ. Cute little kid. Friday night we fixed hamburgers, grilled some veggies Ralph-style, along with spinach dip for supper. Just after we sat down for our meal, the little boy next to us was out by the truck & trailer and he started crying. Of course everyone jumps up to go help him. His parents, one other camper who was getting water and I all went towards to boy. They got there first and the mom just started freaking out big time. She was screaming that the little boy got it stuck in his eye and just went nuts. The other guy grabbed the boy and saw that he got a hook from the fishing pole under his eyelid. The guy yelled to have someone go back to his campground for needle nose pliers so I hurried back and got mine out of my tackle box. As I brought him the pliers, it looked nasty. I was sure it poked through the eyelid but you couldn’t really tell with the tears and blood. Anway, the guy had to slap the moms hand away because she was trying to tear it out. The sisters (13 and 11) were also freaking out now because of their parents’ reactions. So, I walked off with the little girls. They guy ended up getting the hook out and they headed for the hospital. The family came back later and stopped to share with us the outcome. That little boy had walked along the side of the truck towards the trailer. The pole was in the bed of the truck with the end hanging down while the Dad went to get a different fly for it. It hung at perfect heighth for the little boy to walk past and it caught right under his eyelid. No scratches, no punctures, no nothing. The emergency room gave him antibiotics and sent him home. What grace! The little boy just said that the fishing pole bit him. That was more than enough drama for the weekend.

The rest of the weekend was so relaxing and peaceful. Ryan and I fished for a while Friday afternoon and I was having a great time walking through the stream and piddling around. Brubakers had to leave for a bit to pick up Erin from summer camp and we stayed behind and played dominoes and laid on a blanket on the ground. Sunday we all headed back to town to clean up and go to church. After church we went back to Gouldsburg to eat lunch, play some more dominoes and pack up. It was such a nice camping experience. Chit chatting, sitting by the campfire, s’mores, dominoes and lovely weather. Hmm, I need me another weekend like that!

No comments: