04 December 2008

Let them cross, then go mommy

On the way home last night, I was carefully driving on the snow packed roads and out of nowhere I was seeing eye to eye with "property" of the state of Iowa. Seems as though one of the state owned white tailed deer had a death wish and was trying to take me down with her. The doe didn't get to cross the road. I nailed her with the front corner of my car where she wiped out my headlight, folded my front quarter panel in half, dented up the hood with her head, and shoved her body into the drivers door.

Poor deer. I don't feel too bad.

I was startled but perfectly safe. I stopped about 100 yards down the road to check on my car. The bumper and headlight were dragging on the ground. It took me about a minute to unplug the wiring harness from the headlight to remove it (thanks dad and Ralph for teaching me about cars) cause I was still shaking.

Went on to mom's, then to Awanas then back to mom's before I called the Sheriff's office. It's quite a site to watch me open the driver door from the back seat. I'm just glad nobody was harmed.

Damage estimates over $4,000. Thank you Lord for insurance. I don't even know if the car is worth that much!

Drove by the scene of the accident. There was a dog checking out my dead deer. Good riddens pest!

Scott has had a few interesting comments after seeing my car:
1. Mommy, you're supposed to let the deer cross the road, then you go. Why didn't you let the deer cross the road?
2. Mommy doesn't have a light anymore. Daddy can you fix mommy's car? (Daddy "fixes" animals all the time so it makes sense to Scott that daddy can "fix" everything I guess)
3. Look mommy, the sun is coming up. It will help give you light since you don't have a light.

Friends, feel free to go online now and try to get licenses and tags to kill the deer, especially on the roads I travel to go home which are thick in deer!

Drive safe and like Scott says, "watch out for deer". (Yes, he indeed did tell me that very thing this morning with quite a smirk on his face)

6 comments:

Amy said...

What an experience! Glad you are safe! Yah, the little ones never let you get away with much! You should have brought it home and mounted it on the wall! Or better yet, stuff it in the freezer and save it for Christmas dinner! Hee hee!

Anonymous said...

So glad you are safe!!!

I never understand those people who are astonished when I say that I want to kill rattlesnakes. They might bite me when I'm in the field. Kill them!

Fantastagirl said...

So glad you weren't hurt.

I have the opinion that for one season or year we should allow the hunters to get as many of those deers as possible (as long as the meat is eaten - or given to someone who will, food pantry etc.) I hit a deer with my van, and couldn't believe how much damage it caused.

jerelyn said...

Oh no! I'm so glad you weren't hurt though, I've heard stories...

Bonnie said...

Interesting that Amy did not share her own "dead deer" story. I am pretty sure Ian remembers it! Or how she received her middle name in high school of Amy "Road Kill" Redfern! But then, you were around during most of these incidents with the Ranchero or my ol' Toyota!!

Ashley said...

I think that deer are beautiful, but I know what you mean about being a pain in the roads! Glad you are safe my friend!