18 October 2006

Neat freak?

Have I ever mentioned before that I’m a neat freak? Okay, well I am but lately I’ve learned that I can’t be. Marriage has taught me that I can’t be the neat freak that I’d like to be. Now, I’m not blaming hubby 100% because he lets me do what I want for the most part. I just don’t have the time or energy or help to keep the house in perfect order, I’d also like to do more around the house – cooking fun meals, sewing more, keep up with my scrap booking, etc. Yesterday, M was busy trying to get a few things done and asked me how I’m able to get everything done while maintaining a career and having a child. Easy answer: I DON’T! I’m not able to get everything done. No doubt, my house is in some sort of order when I have guests but on a daily basis, NO WAY. Like right now, I have these little dead asian beetles and dead leaves that are scattered in a corner in the room. Ryan brought my plants in last week and I have yet to clean up around them.

I do, however, make an honest effort to keep things done around my house. I try to do the dishes at least daily which is sometimes difficult when I’m gone 3-4 nights a week. I try to vacuum at least once a week, do laundry throughout the week, etc. But lately, I’ve really wanted to stay home and “play”. And by that I mean that I’d like to work on my quilt I started a LONG time ago with my MIL. I like to work on the new wall hanging I got, scrapbook, cook fun foods and lounge around the house. I’d love to be able to spend a few hours each week stopping by to visit folks. For instance, B had a baby a few months ago and I still haven’t stopped there. Dr. H’s wife had a baby 2 weeks ago and I haven’t stopped there or sent a card. I so don’t have it all planned out, seriously, why do people think I do?

UPDATE
Fantastagirl mentioned me have a calming sense around me. Calming sense... what is that? I so don't have anything calming about me except for the few minutes I spend in the shower. Okay, wait, calming the other day when Ryan twirled my hair in the car for one minute before arriving at our destination. I'm swamped, honestly. But, I enjoy life that way, I don't want to be a couch potato.
Last night for example, I got home in time to feed SCott a quick meal while doing dishes. We then ran downstairs for youth group. That was over and we headed back upstairs. I pawned the kid off on Ryan and made this quick shrimp dip for supper. Sat down for umm, about 2 minutes, didn't like the dip so I crawled down in the floor and played with the kiddo for a few minutes. From there, we headed upstairs, gave the kiddo a bath, put him in bed. Cut my nails quick, washed up the dishes from the dip stuff and headed upstairs to bed. It was 10pm. Yeah, did you read about anything calming??? Maybe while the kiddo was playing in the bath but it didn't take him long to start putting his face in the water and sucking it up his mouth and nose. Next he wanted to stand in the bath and play along the edge. So my "sit back and relax while Scott plays" attitude was quickly changed by "policing" hiim instead.

6 comments:

Fantastagirl said...

Because you have so many other things in your life that is in order...and you must have a calming sense around you.

Anonymous said...

*AHEM* Ryan so needs to thank me now. We both know that I tried to wear you down when we lived together and make you less of a neat freak. That didn't work so much now that I think about it.

Me said...

I never knew I was a neat freak til I got married :)

jerelyn said...

super busy! too busy to be a neat freak? i love that. i'm so organized it makes me sick sometimes. lol. i wasn't always though...i guess i'm growing up. :-)

any word on the kitten question from my 'married to a vet' friend?

Ashley said...

You ARE busy. But I know it is because you are so blessed, and such a giving person. You have a good heart!

Kristin said...

As always - you are SO honest! You don't know HOW oftern I think how nice it would be to just quit work and so all the "other" things in life - I think I could handle that!!!!